Friday, June 22, 2007

Precious Time

A friend and I were talking, and he asked if I had any regrets about resigning my last job to spend time with Fletcher. None. Not one. This time is precious. I know this all the more now, because Fletcher has started day care.

"Wait a minute. Day care?! Didn't you just say you want to spend time with Fletch?!" Hold that thought.

The time is precious all the more because I miss the little guy terribly during the day. Seeing him a couple of hours at night seems...insufficient. Clearly, I have grown attached, perhaps too much so.

However, I am ready to go back to work. My job search is going well, with many interesting discussions with a diverse line of companies spanning a few industries. I came very, very, VERY close to moving my nascent family to Chicago. Chicago!! Ultimately, I felt it was too soon to make such a large move. I prefer to keep Fletch close to his family: grandparents, dozens of cousins, etc. Maybe I will change my mind down the road, but for now, I feel I owe it to the little guy to really try hard here in Texas. Other opportunities have not yet worked out, for a variety of reasons, but we've come close. For these reasons, and more, I remain optimistic. What is it the kids say? Ah yes, "I got mad skills." And, apparently, confidence.

So, why not have The Boy stay at home while I am looking? For those who do not know, getting a slot for an infant at a day care or child development center is terribly difficult. At least here it is. Therefore, what would I do if I suddenly got the dream offer tomorrow? SOMEONE has to stay at the home with The Boy. Now you see the dilemma.

In the meantime, the search continues, and Fletch enjoys the heck outta daycare. Each time I have gone to pick him up, that boy is just enjoying himself. I really don't think I am projecting here. That child o' mine marvels at the babies around him, smiles at the care givers, and oohs and aaahs at the various points of visual interest around the room. And I know that Fletch is doing well, because the teachers have already said "he talks. A lot." That's my boy!

No comments: