Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Good coffee house in Austin

Jen and I took The Boy down to meet a friend and her young 'un at a cool coffeehouse. Irie Bean Coffee Bar had a really great "Cheers" type of feel to it. Jay, the owner, was pouring the espresso and finding time to play with Connor (the aforementioned "young 'un"). The feeling was "all irie, mon." Lots of regulars. Everyone knew everyone's name. Good coffee, quirky digs.

To me, and this is just me, this place seems like a good place for the Mommy Mafia, although apparently it has flown below their radar so far. Maybe that is part of the charm. Starbuck's it is not, and I think all the better for it. Look, I like Starbuck's. But as our friend Gina says, she is not about to let Connor run wild in Starbuck's! Here, they love Connor (and vice versa!), play with him, and the environment is very laid back.

Fletcher mostly slept, but when he was awake, we just fed him. And by "we," I mean The Mommy Unit. I mostly just watched and drank my coffee.

Laid back. Good on ya, Jay!

No comments: