Tuesday, August 7, 2007

The Cold War


I imagine that most of the readers (all 5 of you) are old enough to remember the Cold War. "Cold War kids are hard to kill, under the desks in an air-raid drill. Haven't they heard we won the war? What do they keep on fighting for?" I think that Billy Joel, with those few lines, really captured the essence of what it was like to grow up knowing that you lived, ate breakfast, went to school, tennis practice, whatever, at the business end of a Soviet nuke. But we went on with our lives, restful in knowing that the Reds sat at the business end of our nukes, and after all, "It'd be such an ignorant thing to do, if the Russians loved their children too." (That's Sting, by the way, from Dream of the Blue Turtles.)

So, what's your point, The Rick? Glad you asked. Mutually assured destruction. It is what kept the balance during the Cold War. And, with mutually assured destruction in mind, I submit the following photo.

No comments: